Sunday, July 23, 2017

Finals

Tier 1 - Manoj beat Raman 6-3, 6-7, 6-4
Tier 2 - Marg beat Koti 6-4, 6-1
Tier 2 -3rd place - Sunil beat Bhanu (default).

Congratulations Manoj for his win against Raman in Finals.
Congratulations Sunil for breaking in to top 5 of singles ranking.

1 comment:

  1. Match Report:-
    1st set Sunil broke me in my first game itself , there were several 30-40’s and dues but I could not break back Sunil and He closed it 6-4. 2nd set I started feeling really good on my body and legs and ran away with the set 6-2. Sunil was bit slow in 2nd set . I thought I will run away with 3rd set easily with the way I was feeling at that time. In the middle of first game in 3rd set , there came my friend CRAMP on both legs after a long rally (close to 20shots ) which Snuil won. It was time to decide on whether to continue or not. We sat down for a while discussed few things and I started walking again after a while and decided to continue to see how it goes . By the time I realized what’s going on Sunil was up 5-1 . Cramp came back again a few times but Sunil had enough patience to see me recover and continue playing. Somehow I managed to break back (or held my serve I think ) to make the score 5-2. From then on we played some real good tennis, Sunil had some great picks and passing shots and winners, I too had my shares of winners ,picks and passing shots etc. I cut down on errors from my side , and all the while I never thought I had any chance to be where I was during the course but came back and equaled the score 5-5 !!, Then Sunil went up again 6-5 and I managed to stay and went on to make it 6-6 . And in tie break I finished it 7-2 . We played total of 4 hrs tennis , 3:30hrs of solid tennis. 1st set and 3rd set took maximum time. Surprisingly best tennis was played during 3rd set. Sunil had everything in his had to close it out but Magically I came back !. We had several long rallies, overheads hits and misses. This was no dibly-dobly tennis I tell you . We both enjoyed our tennis throughout.
    During the course , I was surprised to see the level of fitness in Sunil, I hardly saw him playing tired shots except a few off course throughout. If we go by Ace tennis statements “Tennis for Fitness” Yes I saw that in Sunil on Sunday. I was struggling with cramp and all leg issues, but at the end even I surprised myself to continue that long and survive till the end. My only intention was not to retire hurt again , never thought I will be able to equal the score or win !!.

    Few takeaways:
    I really appreciate the sportsmanship shown by Sunil throughout. I was injured but he gave some advices and suggestion but it was me who took the risk and continued. Throughout the match he showed great patience to see me recover whenever I got the cramp again few times and allowed me to play even though he had to go early for some of his personal work. During the whole match there were no issues . Both kept on playing with cool head . Only one line call was bit close which I called it out but was challenged by Sunil and point was given right away , even I was bit doubtful on my own call.
    So overall , great sportsmanship, great fitness ( in Sunil ) great patience, great love for tennis , great respect throughout. No excuses , no reasoning, simply tennis. Anybody could have lost patience and changed attitude mid-way , but winning was not the goal and playing good tennis was the goal and we both achieved it . In the end sad to see Sunil loosing from that situation but I am sure he enjoyed the tennis and can feel proud on his fitness level. I have seen Sunil struggling in the past but I saw a different Sunil from fitness perspective on Sunday. Great job Sunil , Keep it up.
    I have gone crazy playing sports in the past but this time I crossed some limits looks like!! Which I thought I should not have done it. But in the end it payed off with few lessons.

    ReplyDelete